With the sun shining over Sevenoaks today we were reminded that Spring finally might be on it's way when a HUGE Bumble Bee decided to join us in our office. 

It flew around looking for somewhere to land and it was with caution that we gently guided it back outside. But what if our efforts resulted in a sting? 

Any sting from a bee, wasp or hornet can be painful but it is not usually dangerous. You would normally notice the initial pain of the sting which will be followed by localised mild swelling, it may be a bit red and sore. 

In some people a sting can cause a severe allergic reaction, otherwise known as anaphylaxis, this can be life threatening so it’s important to look out for this and get medical help quickly if necessary.

Treatment of a sting - 

If you can see the sting, brush or scrape it off sideways. (Don’t use tweezers to try and pull it out, or you could squeeze more poison into the wound).

Put an ice pack or something cold on the wound to reduce the swelling and raise the part of the body that's affected. If the sting is in the mouth or throat, get them to suck an ice cube or sip cold water.

Keep checking the casualty's breathing, pulse and level of response.

If you notice any signs of an allergic reaction ‒ such as breathing difficulties or reddened, swollen itchy skin, particularly to the face or neck ‒ call 999 or 112 for emergency medical help.

Posted
AuthorSam Palmer